On a regular day, the most typical of all days, something extraordinary was keenly waiting to happen. The summer's steaming sunlight arose and once again all of the citizens of the Villas apartments silently wakened to a bright new June morning, all was silent except the tiny birds flocking on and about the multicolored landscape…
I, Maria, was off without a doubt knocking on the plain white door to Lisa's house. Let me inform you that even though this 'Family Folklore' is supposed to be about family, Lisa, my bestest friend in the whole country… world… universe; is as close as it gets. Anyway, she greeted me with her innocent, bright smile and we began hanging out like two peas in a pod. Sooner then we had expected more peers joined us to sit at the spring green picnic table which looked a little out dated, if I do say so myself. All together, six of us gathered going on with our business…so you'd think.
As I remember it, it was approximately five o' clock when anything peculiar began taking place in the so called 'normal' apartments. After a million years, us so called no-good teenagers had boredom dug deeply into our minds and just like little, bitty, preschoolers we lied down as if we were taking a nap. Within minutes one of us
came up with the idea of playing Truth or Dare, where no chicken were allowed; not even in the most desperate of situations like if you were hanging off a giant hill with vibrant fuming flames waiting to dissolve your bare flesh, never. I’m just making a point here.
Anyway, when that question was asked, tention, accompanied with silence filled the air eagerly waiting for an answer. Knowing Lisa, the girl as courageous as a daredevil she said yes almost instantly and the other four accompanists turned their heads towards me in a what-about-you kind of way. I just stared…smiling, something I do when I freeze up like an ice-cube, reminding everyone of the penguins in Madagascar. Then I had to consider the fact that Lisa & I are like two gears graciously turning in a golden watch; if one of those gears happened to break or not cooperate, neither would the other gear. So I, not knowing what to say, just ended up saying yes in the most 'whatever' type matter because I know how much Lisa adores this game. This is when the craziness started to commence, such craziness that should have been held in an insane asylum.
Whitney (Mrs. So-called-innocent) and Jessica (whom was Lisa's sly younger sister) were the first to get dared. Time passed by like cars on the highway; rapid and unbelievably. What happened? Well, we all had a good laugh from their voices booming and echoing like thunder throughout the area singing songs with effort, (all thanks to Lisa's clever idea which had them humiliated) to a few more dares taking place with my sister and the other two friends doing a dorky dance, doorbell ditching, and precisely prank calling 10 boys…a classic. Each dare began to get funnier and harder until it was firmly impossible to accomplish a dare without completely embarrassing yourself down to the bone. We had a 'jolly good time' until we were so tired we could put the moon itself to sleep, which is something that could've happened since the summer's stunning sun was actually setting.
It wasn't over just yet.
Whitney and Jessica wanted revenge. Revenge was seeking a way to grasp us by its cold, dark hands, take us by the throat, and truly make us pay. Whitney was the first to speak. I remember her words as if it were yesterday, so I'll intensely tell you what she said.
"Truth or DARE?"
That was it. Three words that were a time machine for memories, I can always go back and remember them. Both little, wicked girls had an evil smile arising from their faces much like the Tomcat you'd see in 'Alice in Wonderland.' You would think that we were scared, but come on, that wasn't going to make neither Lisa nor I a bit nervous or panicked...puh-lease.
"Dare." That was the vital word that was unleashed out of our mouths right away. Lisa and I, both of us, knew that this word was going to send us on a rollercoaster of an adventure; the only problem was that this rollercoaster had no brakes, and of course, no safety bar to hold us down. Just like life itself, the dare was thrown out of the blue from the girls and hit us both unexpectedly.
That night… the night as cold as Antarctica itself was when the challenge took place. Let's flip through the book. We stood at the foot of the hallway looking prepared in a James-Bond type of action. The next thing paragraph you're eyes are going to scan is one that will never erase from your thoughts.
WE TOOK OFF RUNNING IN OUR COLORFUL UNDERGARMETS SCREAMING, SHOUTING, AND WAVING OUR ARMS IN THE AIR LIKE DERANGED, CRAZED MONKEYS IN A ZOO. The cold air was filling our lungs from the millions of miles we ran and those lungs were certainly going to burst at any second. From the screaming, dashing…and even laughing like hyenas we were half dead. We ran into Lisa's hallway, stopping right in front of her confused grandmother, whom opened her door, gave us a deep stare, and closed it as if she hadn't seen a thing.
Besides the strange grandma, the civilians in the apartments must have had a heart attack for all we know. The parents must have been wondering if the cops should be called. Oh yes, and the little devils… I mean …children, were certainly laughing in the middle of the night because of this hysterical night game…and certainly the torture they had put us through.
At first I felt sorry for us, ask yourself, what crazy people would go outside running in their underwear just to stay chicken-free? Then again, isn't sharing memories, embarrassing deeds, and stories are all about for best friends…or should I say sisters? Well, it is what it is; that's all I have to say. 'Crazy' is such an insane word itself…but it fits Lisa and I perfectly when we live our lives with no regrets......
Maybe when we're 80, old, wrinkly, and have that chunk of blubber hanging off of our arms Lisa and I could again reunite by the springgreen picnic table (which I'm sure i'll dislike still) and do that dare once again; still holding our crowns for the catastrophic game of the one and only TRUTH OR DARE.
I, Maria, was off without a doubt knocking on the plain white door to Lisa's house. Let me inform you that even though this 'Family Folklore' is supposed to be about family, Lisa, my bestest friend in the whole country… world… universe; is as close as it gets. Anyway, she greeted me with her innocent, bright smile and we began hanging out like two peas in a pod. Sooner then we had expected more peers joined us to sit at the spring green picnic table which looked a little out dated, if I do say so myself. All together, six of us gathered going on with our business…so you'd think.
As I remember it, it was approximately five o' clock when anything peculiar began taking place in the so called 'normal' apartments. After a million years, us so called no-good teenagers had boredom dug deeply into our minds and just like little, bitty, preschoolers we lied down as if we were taking a nap. Within minutes one of us
came up with the idea of playing Truth or Dare, where no chicken were allowed; not even in the most desperate of situations like if you were hanging off a giant hill with vibrant fuming flames waiting to dissolve your bare flesh, never. I’m just making a point here.Anyway, when that question was asked, tention, accompanied with silence filled the air eagerly waiting for an answer. Knowing Lisa, the girl as courageous as a daredevil she said yes almost instantly and the other four accompanists turned their heads towards me in a what-about-you kind of way. I just stared…smiling, something I do when I freeze up like an ice-cube, reminding everyone of the penguins in Madagascar. Then I had to consider the fact that Lisa & I are like two gears graciously turning in a golden watch; if one of those gears happened to break or not cooperate, neither would the other gear. So I, not knowing what to say, just ended up saying yes in the most 'whatever' type matter because I know how much Lisa adores this game. This is when the craziness started to commence, such craziness that should have been held in an insane asylum.
Whitney (Mrs. So-called-innocent) and Jessica (whom was Lisa's sly younger sister) were the first to get dared. Time passed by like cars on the highway; rapid and unbelievably. What happened? Well, we all had a good laugh from their voices booming and echoing like thunder throughout the area singing songs with effort, (all thanks to Lisa's clever idea which had them humiliated) to a few more dares taking place with my sister and the other two friends doing a dorky dance, doorbell ditching, and precisely prank calling 10 boys…a classic. Each dare began to get funnier and harder until it was firmly impossible to accomplish a dare without completely embarrassing yourself down to the bone. We had a 'jolly good time' until we were so tired we could put the moon itself to sleep, which is something that could've happened since the summer's stunning sun was actually setting.
It wasn't over just yet.
Whitney and Jessica wanted revenge. Revenge was seeking a way to grasp us by its cold, dark hands, take us by the throat, and truly make us pay. Whitney was the first to speak. I remember her words as if it were yesterday, so I'll intensely tell you what she said.
"Truth or DARE?"
That was it. Three words that were a time machine for memories, I can always go back and remember them. Both little, wicked girls had an evil smile arising from their faces much like the Tomcat you'd see in 'Alice in Wonderland.' You would think that we were scared, but come on, that wasn't going to make neither Lisa nor I a bit nervous or panicked...puh-lease.
"Dare." That was the vital word that was unleashed out of our mouths right away. Lisa and I, both of us, knew that this word was going to send us on a rollercoaster of an adventure; the only problem was that this rollercoaster had no brakes, and of course, no safety bar to hold us down. Just like life itself, the dare was thrown out of the blue from the girls and hit us both unexpectedly.
That night… the night as cold as Antarctica itself was when the challenge took place. Let's flip through the book. We stood at the foot of the hallway looking prepared in a James-Bond type of action. The next thing paragraph you're eyes are going to scan is one that will never erase from your thoughts.
WE TOOK OFF RUNNING IN OUR COLORFUL UNDERGARMETS SCREAMING, SHOUTING, AND WAVING OUR ARMS IN THE AIR LIKE DERANGED, CRAZED MONKEYS IN A ZOO. The cold air was filling our lungs from the millions of miles we ran and those lungs were certainly going to burst at any second. From the screaming, dashing…and even laughing like hyenas we were half dead. We ran into Lisa's hallway, stopping right in front of her confused grandmother, whom opened her door, gave us a deep stare, and closed it as if she hadn't seen a thing.
Besides the strange grandma, the civilians in the apartments must have had a heart attack for all we know. The parents must have been wondering if the cops should be called. Oh yes, and the little devils… I mean …children, were certainly laughing in the middle of the night because of this hysterical night game…and certainly the torture they had put us through.

At first I felt sorry for us, ask yourself, what crazy people would go outside running in their underwear just to stay chicken-free? Then again, isn't sharing memories, embarrassing deeds, and stories are all about for best friends…or should I say sisters? Well, it is what it is; that's all I have to say. 'Crazy' is such an insane word itself…but it fits Lisa and I perfectly when we live our lives with no regrets......
Maybe when we're 80, old, wrinkly, and have that chunk of blubber hanging off of our arms Lisa and I could again reunite by the springgreen picnic table (which I'm sure i'll dislike still) and do that dare once again; still holding our crowns for the catastrophic game of the one and only TRUTH OR DARE.
3 comments:
I love your voice in your writing. Mature, witty and engaging. When you are a famous writer, please inform me.
You weave the reality together with a fairytale like tone together seemlessly.
I agree. Some friends ARE family.
Ms. L.
Maria, are you kidding me? Your writing is so incredibly fantastic I can hardly stand it! Your words were so powerful I could feel the adrenaline of running down the hall in underwear myself! You are immensely skilled at taking a simple story, hyperbolizing it, and making it a piece of art. Thanks, I really enjoyed it!!
~Brooklyn
Maria, your writing is sooooooo good!
Your such a great writer! i hope u become a writer someday because you would be wonderful at it!
~ Kilee Livingston~
Post a Comment