Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Baseball Fever Snapshot By Curtis Romero

When I was in about 4th grade I went to one of my baseball games. Our team always won, we never lost one the whole season. Then one day we were really close to the other team and I was up to bat. I was so scared I felt like the game depended on me and I would be that one kid that everyone hates for the rest of the year.
My hands were so sweaty and I griped the bat with a ninja grip and slowly walked up to the plate. I shuffled up to the plate and hoisted the bat over my shoulder ready to make a fool of myself. Is the pitcher warmed up with confidence that he could strike me out. He then threw the ball at light speed coming right at my. I swung the bat as hard as I could hoping the moment would be over. I then heard “strike!”. With disappointment and frightfulness I swung the bat back over my shoulders. I then saw the pitcher fling the ball at me, I swung that bat as hard as I could. Then I heard once more “strike!”. I was so mad; I could not let this pitcher beat me. Angrily and aggressively I flung the bat back over my shoulders and braced myself for the last throw. The pitcher threw the ball then everything seemed to go in slow motion. I leaned my body in and swung my arms in one last attempt to not become to teams village idiot. Then I heard “crack!”, I looked over and the ball was zooming down the field. It was like opera running for an ice cream truck. Nothing could get in its way, nothing could stop it. I then ran and light speed going down to first base, Made a fast pace turn to 2nd. As I was coming to third I looked over my shoulder to see where the ball was. I then saw the center field brace himself to throw the ball to home. Of course I was stupid enough to run right past 3rd base and head straight to home base. I was then in a race with a ball that seemed like it wanted to kill me. I sprinted halfway as I saw the ball right over my head. I Then was smart enough to leap straight for home base. Then I heard the sound “whack!”. I then knew that the catcher had the ball and just as I touched the base with a hopeful onward face then ball with the catchers hand came straight down like a wrecking ball. I closed my eyes slowly looked up and I heard “safe!”. I lit up with happiness and I leaped up and ran to my team.
Later that day we ended up winning the game like we always did. I will forever remember that moment of glory and triumph.

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

What an adrenaline-pumping, exciting story! I like how I can hear your voice in the story.
~Brooklyn

Writer said...

Wow you really did a great job on this story. I can picture every movment and action in the story. You truly are a great writer.
-Leticia Heath