Saturday, December 13, 2008

Trip to Disney World, by Kelsey Robinson

My family and I were traveling to Florida to go to Disney World. We were all so excited to get there. I was 6 years old and my sister 9. We couldn’t sit still in our car. Finally we arrived at our hotel that we would be staying in for the two weeks we would be staying here. We unpacked our car and carried in our things. My dad was in a wheelchair at the time because he hurt his ankle while playing basketball and it was still healing. After all of our things were in our hotel room we headed out to go look around inside of Disney World.
We walked in and my mouth dropped and hit the cement ground. My mom reached down and picked it up to put it back in place. We wanted to look at some type of gift/souvenir store. We found one in an alley way. It was behind and next to 3 gray-brick buildings. My family walked inside eagerly wanting to see what was there. I walked to the back wall and picked up Minnie Mouse. I grinned and ran over to show my mom. She thought they were so cute and said,
“Those are so cute; but we’re just looking today, but we can come back and get them later if you really want them.”
“Okay!” I agreed!
I skipped back over to where I found her when I ran into a lady that weighed at least 600 pounds. I lost myself for a second. It seemed as if she was hugging me to her because I couldn’t get out. My mom rushed over and tugged me out of the death hold. My mom patted me on my back as I looked up at the over-sized citizen. I looked up at her with a face that looked like I might cry but with a mixture of a glare. My mom pushed me to a walk and I took Minnie from me to place on the shelf next to a too wide grinning Mickey.
I turned on my heel and headed for the door. My dad wheeled himself out of the store in front of me. I, my mom and dad waited outside the store for Kylie (my sister) to finish looking and come outside to meet us. She is so slow; she is 9 and takes four hours to get ready for school on regular days. She walked out and my dad started down the hill back the main alley when his wheel fell off! My sister, my mom and I stood at the top of the hill laughing and crying at the same time. Frantically he tried to stop his wheelchair, he ran into the brick building. When he hit the building the rest of his wheelchair crumbled to pieces. The next thing we knew he was on the ground. My mom, sister, and I were still at the top of the hill still processing that Rob (my dad) was sitting on the concrete surrounded by broken metal pieces.
By the time we all ran down to meet him all of these strangers were around him trying to help him in some way. When everyone realized who we were and how we were related to Rob they left slowly not quite sure what to do. We helped him up and we immediately took him to get a new wheelchair dragging him behind us because he was too heavy for us to lift. When we got him a new, sturdy wheelchair we went shopping around some more and all was well. He never fell out of a wheelchair again!!!

3 comments:

Writer said...

Interesting story full of memories. Nice hyperbole in this line, "When he hit the building the rest of his wheelchair crumbled to pieces."

Ms. L

Pineapplejigglejelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pineapplejigglejelly said...

That is funny that you were in the "death hold" of the large woman!!

Karsten Hansen