Friday, November 7, 2008

Family Folklore-The Family Camping Trip-By:Selina Delgado

My Family Camping Trip!
By: Selina Delgado
This past summer me and my family went a camping trip to Starvation. We had our boat, our camper, and me and my cousin and her friend got to sleep in a tent! It was a three day camping trip that I wasn’t looking forward to at all… I mean come on three days in the middle of nowhere with my family! No cell phone, no computer, no friends!
The first day we got there we helped put up the tent I was going to sleep in! Then put on my swimsuit and went out to the lake to get a tan, little did I know my cousins snuck up on me and poured water all over me at first I was bitter towards them than it was war. We were all fighting and playing in the water, my uncle came out and said anyone who wants to go on the boat hurry up.! So me, my cousins Kielee, Mason and, McKenna, their cousins Austin and McKenzie and my aunt and uncle all got on the boat! Off we go, than my uncle says “who wants to tube? We have the flat boards today!”
Me and my cousin Kielee, wanted to go first so they let us on first told us to hold on tight and off we went faster and faster going higher and higher…! I was for sure I was going to drown or die some how!! We jumped high! BUMP!! BUMPP!! We were going so fast, I was so anxious and scared at the same time, I was so ready to get off but my cousin was just like come on Selli just stay on for a little longer so finally I caved and stayed on. Five or so minutes later we got off to let the others have a turn when everyone had, a turn my uncle asked if anyone wanted to wake board Kielee, me, and Austin all raised our hands I had never even got on a wake board in my life I was terrified! My cousin Kielee went first, she got up on her first try and off she went she even jumped! It was her second time wake boarding in her life and she jumped! Next up was Austin; he was so cocky about the whole thing just because he knows how to snow board he thought that this would be a piece of cake! Ha!! Yeah right, he tried first timing no luck, second time still nothing, third timing nothing, he was getting discouraged.. He was upset that he didn’t get up but the water was getting choppy and my uncle wanted everyone to get a turn so he pulled Austin in.
It was my turn…. I was very scared I got in the cold choppy water strapped my feet in and got a good hold of the rope, all they told me was to keep my knees to my chest, hold on tight, and when I got up turn slightly to the side.
Thumbs up! I was ready to go my adrenaline was pumping! First try I didn’t get up, I got a little discouraged but I thought to myself I know I can do this, second time up I was up! WHAT!! I was in disbelief I could not believe I was up. All I thought to myself was to hold on as tight as I could and turn to the side! Everyone on the boat was cheering for me! I was so excited than BUMP!! And harder the next time BUMMPP! The water was getting really choppy and they wanted to bring me in but I said “no, just give me a little longer” so I was still going and all the sudden my uncle lost control of the boat I went flying into the air, when I hit the water I saw my life flash before my eyes I went so deep into the 20 feet deep water. I was so scared! Luckily I had the wake board attached to my feet if not I would have drowned! I popped back up legs first, everyone in the boat was ok I was still in shock that I was breathing and alive the pulled me into the boat and were telling me that all they saw was my legs fly up in the air and my arms let go of the rope I was lucky that I had the wake board! After that I was pretty ready to go in and take a nap! Let’s say for the rest of that camping trip I didn’t go in the water!! And I haven’t been on a boat ever since that day!

No comments: