Friday, November 21, 2008

Life is like sweet & sour chicken
By Theo Gochnour

Life is like sweet and sour chicken. Sometimes it is sweet, sometimes it is sour. Sometimes you get picked on and feel like your getting eaten up. Other times people don’t like you and they spit you out. On occasion you are the last one on the plate and you feel like complete reject. There are moments of pure joy and also moments of terror in life. Just like when you bit a burnt piece of Sweet and Sour chicken.
I am going to talk about a time in my life of pure terror and extreme joy.
It was July, The hottest month of the year. My family and I wanted to get out of Utah. Go on a fun vacation for our family to get to know each other. We decided on Mexico. My family was going to Mexico. I thought this trip would be all sweet with no sour. I was wrong.
We arrived at the Cancun international airport. It was a whole different world. My joy and happiness was quickly deteriorating the longer we were there. Everyone around us was speaking Spanish. No one in our family knew Spanish! This was a match made in heck! We came out to the taxis. We saw a man holding a sign that said Gauchners. That obviously wasn’t our name but we knew who he was looking for. We hopped in his cab and he took us to our hotel in Playa Del Carmen just outside of Cancun. Our hotel was nice but still everyone was speaking Spanish! I didn’t know if we would make it out of this strange world alive.
Our hotel room was beautiful. The sour part of the chicken in my life was suddenly becoming sweet again. There were three beds perfect for our 4 person family. We were getting ready for our packed day ahead of us.
The catamaran was boarding we barely got there in time. We were sailing out to a coral reef to go snorkeling. My stomach dropped as we sailed farther out. I always hated going out to sea. It seemed like my life had just bitten into a piece of sour chicken. I checked on the depth monitor and it read 400 feet! Now I was really starting to freak out on top of that I was getting seasick. Mexico was different than I thought…not in a good way.

3 days later

We were packing up and getting ready to leave. In our sweet but sour trip we went to see ancient Aztec Villages, Snorkeled, and rode power scooters on a deserted jungle island. Overall our trip to Mexico was just what is expected. Sweet times like snorkeling & scooter riding. There was also a fair share of sour parts to our trip too. Some included being seasick, everyone speaking Spanish, and nearly getting heat stroke from the extreme Mexican temperatures and humidity.
Life is like sweet & sour chicken sometimes its sweet and sometimes it’s sour.

No comments: