Life is like a slice of cake. No matter what flavor it is, if you don’t try to enjoy it you’ll be disappointed when the end comes. There are times when you can only see the bad things such as calories and how unhealthy every bite is, but once you get past the downsides, there are less things to cancel out the good. You’re almost always going to be looking forward to something and hating another, for example, some wait and wait through the whole cake just for the last luxurious bite of the part that’s only the sweet icing, while others prefer the beginning because it’s the ultimate mixture of the moist cake and the thin layer of frosting on top. They have their reasons for what they enjoy in their cake, but it’s always better to be an optimist and not care what part of the slice you’re in, as long as you have a slice at all.
Eating the cake gets hard sometimes, it may make you sick or you’re simply full, but you’ve got plenty of cake to go slow and not eat it all at once. Living life freely, fully, and not hastily is the best way to live.
Have you ever experienced the feeling of depression? The hopeless feeling, it’s horrible, I don’t suggest trying to imagine it. The point is it can be easier than thought to get over it. It won’t do you any good to see the bright side if it doesn’t make sense to you, but if instead of trying to forget, you try to balance it out with happy times you’ll forget a lot about the pain and the feelings will vanish.
I’m going to take you to a time in my life, one where everything seemed to be against me.
Imagine…
There I sat, watching the clock, listening to the ticking of the second hand, keeping the tempo in my head, comparing it to the even breaths I took, the humming beat of my heart. Boredom had always been a bad thing to me, but never as bad as today. I was dejected and needed the distraction of school work, but I’d finished, and now all I could do was let my eyes wander around the room, not finding the motivation to read. My teacher didn’t care, the class was almost over anyway and I was being quiet.
My mind reeled over the past few months, the days that dragged on.
Time mocked me with its slow moving continuation; I despised everything at the moment.
Friends cared less, parents couldn’t see what was right in front of them to care, and fate made my horrible luck worse, seeming to try to make me lose hope.
Of course I wouldn’t, I wouldn’t give in to depression. I’d be the first of my mom, my grandma, my great-grandma, and my sister, as far as I knew, to fight back, to not need medication to be happy again.
The only question was how.
I’d tried to take my optimism, see all the good sides, but that only made things worse.
This wasn’t a fight against depression, it was a war. My mind antagonized me with downsides and thoughts of pain.
But I wasn’t allowing myself to give up, I felt like I was weak, useless to myself.
I pushed the thoughts away and gathered my stuff.
Then, the bell rang, forcing me to go into the hall where I would surely see a face that once loved me and now hated me.
Two months later…
I didn’t expect the fight to take so long, but even that wouldn’t stop me. Things had gotten better, and just the pride that I was winning gave me encouragement.
There were several friends who simply wouldn’t talk to me, but suddenly, conversations flooded, they told me what they’d done over the time that had passed, and then I knew I would win, not because the bad things weren’t there, but because the good weren’t hidden, they were coming out, and I finally understood why everybody says that balance is needed.
So you see, life is like a slice of cake in many ways, but the most important is that if you enjoy your cake, it’s going to seem better than it would if you didn’t
Enjoy your time on earth.
Live life well, eats cake freely.
No comments:
Post a Comment