Friday, November 7, 2008

Family Folklore –Alissa Harmon

“But why do we have to go?” I moaned. School was only two weeks away and we had to drive to Chicago for the funeral of my step dad’s niece? That made no sense to me. “Your dad’s the only one who even knew her, I haven’t even met any of his relatives, plus it’s my dad’s weekend.”

“Because we do!” was all my little sister, Sareena, said. She didn’t seem as annoyed about our little “trip” as I was. Then again, she was too young to appreciate school; she’d probably wished we were there for a month. But the trip was only going to be a week and a half at most; at least that was what my parents said.

I still wasn’t convinced. I had no idea of the exact location, not even the direction of Chicago, but I knew the drive was long. Much too long.

“But I’m not even related to them,” I protested, but I was sure it was a done deal. I, even if against my own will, was going to Chicago.

The next day, my grandmother, whom I am also not related to, showed up at our door. But at least I knew her, she wasn’t a stranger.

The car’s already going to be packed with people, I thought. What is she doing here?

Then she called us all to stand in a circle and close our eyes, joining hands. It reminded me of the prayer said before the Thanksgiving dinner.

“Dear Heavenly Father,” she began, and then I realized I was halfway right. You see, my grandma works with the church—of course, I didn’t ever ask which one. It was only natural that she’d need a prayer to ensure safety.

After going through what seemed like a prepared speech, asking for God’s help through our “journey” and asking that my step dad help his brother through this hard time, she concluded saying “And we say these things in the name if thy beloved son, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

We all repeated the word and gave her hugs goodbye. Then we loaded into the car for our hours of only rest-stopped driving. So long my pets, my sister, my house. So long.

The drive was bound to be horrible, there was no doubt in that, but who knew that little kids could make someone wish for earplugs so dearly, even with a DVD player in the car.

But, I’ve always been good at toning people out. Especially the whining, crying, and obnoxious begging for things that the person didn’t need. So much time babysitting, it does wonders to a person.

Mostly I was thinking about Stephenie Meyer’s newest book—Breaking Dawn, the end to the Twilight series, my absolute favorite series ever. It had come out recently and I was in need to read it. And don’t take to lightly the word need. I was definitely, positively dying to get my hands on it.

Eventually, the little noise-makers got tired, and I realized it was getting to dark for me to draw.

I struggled with my eyes, trying to get past the creeping dark, but it wasn’t of use. I sighed, and put the sketchpad down, but I wasn’t about to let myself be bored that easy. Boredom is like a disease in my eyes.

I pulled out my phone, though I don’t know why. What did I plan to do? I’d broken up recently with my best friend, and she was the only person in my phone, well my only friend in it anyway, who could text that I’d even want to talk to. I could’ve called my other best friend, or there was Kelly, who I’d forgotten could text, but neither answered and soon my phone was out of service. This new phone, what could I do with it? It had a camera, but it was dark. The only things visible were the lights. The lights…

I switched to the camera, and raised my phone to the little white and yellow dots, glittering the horizon. I pressed the take button and moved the phone quickly. The picture produced looked like ripples on water. I felt the smile contort my face. Brilliant pastime was all it took for me to be enthusiastic about something boring, and with my mind, there was a lot of it out there.

I took several pictures, getting great ones, then horrible, then just pitch black. In the end I’d only gotten about five pictures, and I’d taken at least fifty. But they looked cool. And I’d gotten hours of entertainment.

And then I realized it.

My goal for this week wasn’t to get through it, but to make it spectacular.

Absolutely Awesome.

1 comment:

Writer said...

I love your story! Way to make a bad situation good=]
Paige Lundeen