Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Metaphor Madness; Life is a book By: Alexis Godfrey

Life is a book, a never ending roller coaster of ups and downs, twists and turns, and anxiety. It has a climax and a resolution, often more than one of each. You never know exactly what is going to happen. There is pain and worry, but also joy and happiness. Your story will have its good parts and its bad parts, its sorrow and its delight, and all of the indescribable feelings in-between each and every word. Just like a book life won’t let you down, and unfortunately just like a book this nail biting drama we call life will someday come to and end.
That night, that cold winter night, you would have never thought it could get any colder, but it did. That night lying underneath the blankets, sleep wasn’t coming easily but it never came to me exactly why. I had a feeling a feeling of misery. Then came the call, grandma answered still half asleep and very much confused. She started crying, she cried as if the world was falling down on top of her. No one knew what was going on but we knew it had to have been something quite terrible. I had never seen grandma cry like that. When she got off the phone she continued to cry hysterically.

I was confused; I had absolutely no idea as to what was going on. I asked Grandma Great and she told me that you and mom had been in a car accident. I didn’t know what to do or say. The next thing she said is you had died instantly and they weren’t sure about mom yet. I was so confused I couldn’t even cry. I couldn’t move, I felt as if my heart had been ripped out of my chest but that I could still feel all of its pain as it was being ripped into millions of pieces. I sat down and thought, and then it hit me that I could leave this solitude and go home without a mom or dad, it hit me like a punch in the stomach, I couldn’t breathe.
I still did not know what exactly happen but I knew that I couldn’t do anything; I would leave here tomorrow without you. We drove to the hospital to see how mom was doing. They said her condition had improved, that there was no internal bleeding. What she did have though was a shattered hip, a broken knee and foot, and bruised lungs. We didn’t have time to worry. We had to identify your body and plan your funeral. We had decided to bury you in Kamas because we knew that that’s were you would want to be. Mom’s condition improved a lot she was able to move around by that Tuesday. She couldn’t attend your funeral though that hurt her a lot.
The funeral was the hardest part. Seeing you for the last time, knowing this would be the last time I would be able to see you, but you looked so very happy. You looked normal just like you always had. It made me miss your jokes and kind smile even more. I tried not to cry because I knew you wouldn’t want that, but I did anyways but they weren’t tears of sorrow, they were tears of joy for the life you had lived.
Your book came to an end like we always knew it would, it just seemed to end a lot sooner than we thought. Your book was filled with many memories both good and bad; your book told the story of a positive man who lived a very fulfilled life. It seemed you knew you wouldn’t be here long, maybe that’s why you lived such a rampageous life. Your story will never be forgotten. I love you dad.

No comments: