My Family Memoir. By Becky Jessop
My family is very odd. We have had very good memories together & we have had some that are not always the best. But we have had great family experiences. It’s hard not to go camping without telling a fun family story. We love spending time together. I’ll admit I love being stuck in a car with my sisters for a whole day.
It all began with my Dad. He was not a Mormon of the church like the rest of my family. My Dad was a Scout Master for about 8 years. A couple years later we started to see the missionaries. We had one that stayed with us the whole time they taught us. His name is Elder Serpielo. My Dad and he had a great relationship. After Elder Serpielo left, my Dad was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was the greatest thing that happened to my family.
On August 24, 2005, my brother Brent was called to serve a mission in the Czech Republic. It was called Czechoslovakia before he served. But it is now two different countries. It was an emotional day we he read the calling to our family. I missed him more than I missed chocolate. Considering that is a pretty hard thing sometimes. But he did send us some chocolates. My brothers and sisters were soon to find out that the biggest surprise lay before us.
In 2006 the best thing I could ever dream of happened. Our parents told us that we wanted to be sealed as a family in the Salt Lake Temple. I could think of another thing in the world that would make me happier than I was at that moment. So on June 17 2006, me and my family was sealed in the temple in Salt Lake City.
My brother Brent wasn’t able to participate with us because he was away on his mission. And my other brother, Jed, didn’t come get sealed with us because he wasn’t ready. We still are hoping that he will one day decided to be sealed to my family and his wife, BreAnn.
After my brother, Brent, got home from his mission, we decided to have him sealed to my parents because he wasn’t there the first time. So on December 26, 2007, again we went to the Salt Lake Temple to have him sealed to all of us. Again I and my sisters waited to be called to the sealing room. I started to cry outside the door. When the lady told us we could go in everyone had tears of joy in their eyes. I will always remember what Elder Goaslind told my family before they were sealed. “Look at this room. It’s gorgeous. Everything about it is absolutely perfect. The furniture, molding, mirrors, and even the chandelier. But the most beautiful thing in this room is that alter. Where the hands lay and are meant to be held for time and all eternity.” That went straight to my heart and has stayed there every since.
I will always remember what I and my sisters said to each other after we were sealed in June. Our family members would say: “Oh we are so happy for you.” And we were also happy. I remember saying: “Great now I have to live with these maniacs forever. Oh joy.” But truth be told, I really am happy that I will be with them forever. And now I get to live with my nephew, Matthew forever as well. I just wish that my brother and his wife, Jed and BreAnn, will choose to one day be sealed in the temple to. And then I would live with them and their soon to be baby.
I love my family. And I am so happy that my parents made the choice to be sealed in the temple. And I am also happy that my Dad chose to be baptized. There is nothing in the world I would trade for. Not even chocolate. I am so glad that this happened to me in my life. Hard things may come my way, but I will always remember that day and be grateful for what I have in my life.
Albert Einstein:
“Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”
When Should I Repot My Fiddle Leaf Fig
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment