Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What Golf Has to do With Life By Parker Brock

Life is like a game of golf. You have to be patient and think about what to do. When you’re stuck in the trees you have to choose to get out safely of try and go right through it all. Just like if you get stuck with bad friends and you can choose to get away from them or you could take a chance and get in more trouble with them. You’re the person hitting the ball and so you are also the club and the ball. And the way you set up will choose what way the ball will go. So you’ve got to set up your life before you hit that ball.

The story is when I was golfing on a cool and cloudy July day and I was confident about shooting under a 50. It was just me and my dad and he teed off and then I did. My shot went way over into the trees. That’s where most golfers fall apart. So when I went back to find my ball I told myself to just get out safely. So I did that and then I went for the green and almost made it.

Later in the round I had hit a ball behind some bushes and I had to get over them. So I flopped the ball over and landed right in the path of a tree. And now I was feeling the pressure of falling apart. So I took some slow breathes and got my club and hit the ball. I watched it as it went straight to the green and it landed three feet from the pin. And it got there because I set up in the direction I wanted to go and I kept my confidence up.

At the 8th hole I was also stuck in the trees and so was my dad. When I got to my ball I hit my ball out into the fairway and my dad tried to go right through the trees and got caught in the trees even more. So while I was going for the green he was trying to get out in the fairway. And that gave me a great chance at getting under 50.
So when I got on the final tee box I told myself to aim to where I wanted to go. So I hit the ball and went down the middle of the fairway. Then I hit a six iron right down the middle of the green. Then I was about fifteen feet from the hole. So I told myself to hit the ball soft but not to soft. So I hit and left the ball 2 in. short. So I tapped the ball in and shot a 47. The best score I’ve ever shot on a full 9 hole course. And that’s because I aimed the way I wanted to go. So aim your life the way you want to go.

No comments: