Monday, September 15, 2008

My Ducky Trip By Ian Richter

My Ducky Trip
By Ron Garden-gnome
My Dad and I were in Grand Junction Colorado about to raft down a class six rapids one of the most dangerous thing my Dad and I have ever attempted. We were going to do the Blue Heron a 3 hour kayaking trip down the Colorado River. The river guide said that there are three bridges once you see the third one pull off to river left. O and on the third leg of the river watch out for the side cliff watch out for the side cliff on river right we have and boats disappearing there. So after that my Dad drove up to the blue heron put in site it was a long dirt launch in to the dangerous river. It only took my Dad and me ten minutes to get the boat into the water and then we were off in to the unknown. It started with some class four rapids it was a bumpy ride with a lot of rocks but nothing my dad and I can’t handle. With oars in hand we trudged on until we hit the first bridge of the river and stopped at an eddy and had a snack and took short nap then we were back in the river.

There was a long stretch of flat water the to the class five rapids. I was jolting up and down from the power of the current. We must have been moving around 50,000 cubic feet per second because my dad lost his oar. But we just behind the second bridge so we pulled over and had are lunch and prepared for the challenges that we faced ahead.

We started moving down the ravenous, raging, running river at an amazing 100,000 cubic feet per second. There were rocks, trees and fallen brush at every turn so you always had to stay alert and keep your eyes on the horizon. We were flying down the river and then suddenly my dad flipped and he went under but he recovered and flipped back on the boat. The river picked up to 250,000 amazing cubic feet per second. We were come coming up on the bridge fast I rolled under water and I saw a prehistoric looking fish but I flipped up so fast it might have been a rock. Then my dad said “Go to River Left!!!” I barely made so we pulled our dented, scratched, scraped, and scared boats.