Thursday, April 30, 2009

Advice #24

I really miss my brother he has been gone for about 8 months but it feels like forever. I'm trying to be happy and supportive of what he is doing since he is going to be gone for another 16 months but I need advice on a way to try to remember him without making me sad. He is my best friend the person that I tell everything too and its really hard to tell him stuff when hes away in LA and I'm not allowed to see him and I can email him one time a week. How do I get over missing him so much?



My dad was diagnosed with bipolar over a year ago. He has been extremely depressed for about 10 years so most of my life. At first he was really angry at us thinking everyone else is wrong and that he was perfect. With him thinking that way he refused to take any medication because he felt indestructible. That feeling is part of the illness and my family had to move out. Now he is realizing all the wrong things he did but is still not thinking clearly. He is extremely depressed and has thought of suicide. This feeling is also part of the illness. I feel like I don't want to be with him because seeing him down makes me feel guilty. Is it wrong of me to almost hate my dad for all the things hes done. I don't really hate my dad I just hate the illness that has taken over his mind and has made him someone else. How do I get over this fear of seeing him and maybe going to my old house and finding him dead. I need to move on with my life but I don't know how

4 comments:

Writer said...

Dear Number 24,
I am so sorry about your brother being gone. In some ways i know how you feel. All my family lives in California and i never see them. Its really hard but life is hard and you are a strong person. I am so sorry about you dad. I know its hard my dad doenst have bipolar or i hope he doesnt but he is kind of the smae. My dad is always mad at and he always thinks he is rihgt and we are always wrong. Its hard but your a strong person and i know you are. You can get through this. I love you (yes i know who it is but i wont say the name cause i dont think he/she would want me to) im sorry..
sincerely,
Number 4 or Natalie

Writer said...

I am really sorry about your brother and your dad. But i don't think you should feel guilty for your dad's illness, somethings just happen. What i always tell myself is that everthing happens for a reason. Maybe right now you don't understand why your dad has that illness. But going through this will make you a stronger and a better person. I know you will get through this because you are a strong, smart, and brave person.
~ Jess

Writer said...

daer 24

i know what it is like to have your brother gone. my brother went on a mossion to midrid spain for 2 years over the two years i only got to talk to him and hrear his voice 4 times. my advice wold be to just every now and then let it out. just break down crying. its ok to miss him. and you probly wont get over it. my other brother moved to oklahoma city 2 years ago and now i only get to see him when he comes for christmast. and i love my brother more than anything in the wolrd. (you probly know who i am by now but o well if you dont you will after this) but as for your dad just encourage him. i have almot killed my self several times. im a happy person most of the time but we all have our tough times so just endour through it. i belive you can make.

love,

carrie

Writer said...

24, How strong you are. The good new about your brother is, he will be home. I know 16 months sounds like years away, but it will come. Keep writing and just think about how fun it will be when he returns.

No one your age should have to endure a hard situation with a father. You will be fine, and are doing great. It will all work out.