Thursday, April 30, 2009

Advice #28

Dear Abby,
I have a big problem that I need help with because I don’t know what to do. About a week ago my friend told me she was talking to this guy on the internet. At first I thought she was just kidding but then she told me she wasn’t, I thought it was okay at first because she had a friend but then I found out he was older then she was. I really want to be a good friend and just say that its cool but I know there are a lot of nasty perverts out there who may seem nice online but they really aren’t. Ever since both my friend and I got a Facebook we are on the computer almost everyday, but I think my friend is on it a little too much and I’m afraid that she is going to start talking more to her “friend” online. I don’t think its wrong to talk to people online if they are your friends or to add them on Facebook, but if you really don’t know the person and they add you just say no because you don’t know what you could be getting yourself into.
I told my friend what I thought about the entire situation and she just started laughing and said I sound like a mother talking to their child. I don’t want to sound like a mother. but I know that there are dangers out there that sometimes as teenagers we don’t pay attention to or want to deny there is any danger in what we are doing. I prefer to sound like a crazy mother worrying about her child, instead of my friend getting hurt by some stranger. Nothing has ever happened to me or my family because we chat online, but we don’t talk to strangers online. I’ve heard stories on the news about girls who talk to guys on the internet and get kidnapped or even killed because they met with the guy they were talking to online. I’m not saying that’s going to happen to my friend but you can never be too safe about people out there. Abby please help me!! Should I keep bugging my friend and tell her to stop talking to that guy? Or should I just leave her alone and forget that she is talking to a guy online?

8 comments:

Writer said...

I can relate to your friend. I have talked to people in the internet that I didn't know. It led to a lot more and when I talked to them I just felt like I knew that they were real. But, It's hard to tell who is on the other side of the computer, but I know how it feels to be you & your friend. I think that you should just keep telling her what you think and if she is your true friend she would listen to you. But if shes became close friends with that person, then she can't just like magically not be friends with him, its going to take some time for her to move away from him. My adivce is just keeping telling her and bugging her and nagging until she gets the clue your worried about her!

~Good Luck(:~
#12

Writer said...

My cousin was talking to this guy on the internet and I thought it was cool at first but now that I look back I'm glad I had told my mother because I love my cousin and couldn't survive without her. It's more like your not trying to tell on your friend and get them in trouble you just love them so much you would do anything for them and you couldn't survive knowing you could have stopped him or her from being kidnapped or something bad happening the that person. I would tell an adult if it gets more serious or if she wants to meet him. You sound like a great friend for actually being worried! Do what ever you feel is best don't worry about looking cool because in the long run you will be proud you did the right thing!
~#24

Writer said...

I can underdtand that you are worried, My friend has done that before. I was worried, but i didnt tell her to stop. Now she doesnt do that anymore.

I think you should talk to her again, make sure she knows that you are worried and care about her. Just tell her that you are worried. I hoped this helped :) good luck

16 :)

Writer said...

I don't think you should keep bugging and nagging her forever, because that just gets really annoying. Maybe if you just tell her that you are worried about her. Or you could just start by asking her to atleast talk to him less, because thats a start.
-No. 8

Writer said...

ok i would just keep bugging her and tell her that if she doesnt listen she will probably regret it the rest of her life.......but seriously i would be scared to because you never no
no./19

Writer said...

I think you've gotten some good advice so far. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. You will only regret inaction. Go ahead and do something because the internet is not something to be careless with! You're a great friend. Good luck.
no.29

Writer said...

YOU AND YOUR friend SHUD GET OUT SIDE FOR THE LOVE OF HEAVAN PLAY IN THE MOUNTIANS RUN THROW THE FOREST OR EVEN GO PLAY GOLF GET OFF YOUR COMPUTER JUST LIKE WHAT I SHUD BE DOING RIGHT NOW T T F N


FROM JASON A BOSS

Writer said...

tell your friend she should not be talking to people she has not met in person
tyler foss