Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Family Folklore" by Kasie Drown

All families have their stories and this is one of mine. My family loves the outdoors so this story was one of those outdoor stories. When I was about three years old I went camping with my parents, grandpa, and my cousin. One of the days we were there we went fishing. The lake was right next to where we had camped so it was an easy commute.


It was early in the morning around six o'clock and I had not woken yet from my night's sleep. My Grandpa Jack and my cousin Sean were out fishing earlier than usual. So it had been about three hours later when I finally woke up. By the time I woke up and got ready for the day everyone was getting their plates ready for the day's breakfast so I soon joined them. When we finished eating my grandpa asked if I would join my cousin and him fishing. I said yes and I told them I would be down there shortly.


When I arrived my grandpa was getting ready my fishing pole. Well I ended up boring Sean's fishing pole for some reason. At that time my dad called up my grandpa and my cousin. So my grandpa told me to stay put and watch over my fishing pole. So after a while I realized that they had not come back yet and it had been at least fifteen minutes. So I wanted to run up and ask them what was taking them so long. So I left my pole unattended and ran up the hill. Well when my cousin saw me he ran down the hill wondering who was watching over his pole. Well when he got there he saw a sixty pound sword fish come up and ate the fishing pole in one gulp. When the fish came up to eat the pole it grinned a big huge smile at my cousin. When my cousin came back with the grave news he would have sworn that the fish was laughing at him with great intensity.


This is one of my families favorite stories of all times. We all call it "Kasie and the Run Away Fishing Pole." As most stories you are told my your grandparents can be exaggerated, I am sure this story has been told differently than it's original tale. When ever my family talks about this story we all laugh really hard. I don't know why but this story brings great pleasure and happiness to all my family who have been told of my great stupidity.

No comments: