Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Family Folklore" By Parker Schofield

I once went go-carting with my dad and my sister. I naturally have a disadvantage because my dad has been driving for at least thirty years and my sister has a permit, however little experience it gives. I, have played Need For Speed and Mario Cart video games. I decided I could handle them, maybe.

With butterflies in my stomach from being allowed the driver seat of a motor vehicle, I buckled myself in the second car to leave the pen ( should I have been worried that there were more seat belts in this go cart than in a semi?). I was practically sweating anticipation when the cars were suddenly at the Nascar track. Red, Yellow, Gre-vrrrrrrrrrrrm. I takeoff burning rubber at the speed of sound because the attendant said "Go," after I had left the pen. My sister, as reckless with cars as she was, pulled in front of me as I was closing the doors on my dad. Using everything I learned from Mario, I jammed the peddle into the floor.

I could have outsped a bullet when I pulled myself right behind my sister's car to draft,(which probably didn't save any fuel) and pulled out to the side to shut off my dad. Who hit me accidentally and sent me careening off the track, off a lamppost, onto a mini golf course, up a putt putt ramp and back onto the course, leaving everything behind me in ruins. My car suddenly in front of her surprised her and made her lapse enough to let my dad throttle through. I started on a U-turn and my dad hit the back of my car and I must have flown in the air and jumped the turn it was so powerful.

I was so fast that my three foot car looked like a stretch limo. My dad and I were neck and neck, since I had lost speed in turning so much. Trying to re-accelerate, my sister comes along and tries to slit the tires on my dad's car with her keys that turned into a knife. I hit a pebble and lept twenty feet over them. I let them kill each other and happily sped ahead. watching their little tornado form in the distance in distance. I had a good lap ahead of them by the time my dad got away from her.

I felt pretty confident of my position as the attendant signaled the last lap but I decided to add insult to injury and lap them again. When they were slowing down to enter the pen, I didn't even know what brakes were. I kept going blind momentarily because I was moving faster than light. I floor it and on the way into the pen I totaled my sister's car into my dad's engine that exploded from being overheated and then pressured, making the attendant very angry. I scratched some paint on my car but I came in first with two laps ahead of them. A few minutes later we heard the roar of my engine stop when the sound caught up to us.

No comments: