Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Good-bye Story by Taylor Ashton

Taylor Ashton
Period: 7th
Good-bye Story

One awful morning, I was awakened by my mother; she told me that my great grandfather had died. I was devastated and couldn’t believe what I was hearing. At this time I was around the age of three or four. I stayed in my room, because I honestly couldn’t believe that one of my relatives had died. That day, was indescribable. I had a nickname for my great grandfather, because I didn’t know his real name until later, I called him Gramps. Gramps meant a lot to me and that’s why I couldn’t believe that he had past away. He would come over and visit and give me pennies to count and then would give them to me.
I will tell you about Gramps’s life. He was an educator in schooling in Murray School District. He became the basketball coach of the boys’ varsity basketball team, which was during World War 2. What is cool about that is that I love basketball and later my step-father, Gordon, became the coach of the varsity team for 14 years. Gramps was also the principal at Viewmont, where my youngest step brother, Billy, is currently attending. Billy is in third grade and as smart as can be. Gramps even worked at the Murray District Office, which is also cool because my mother works there too.
When he retired from his job, he still went out for lunch with the rest of the people who had retired. He liked to golf a lot with friends. Gramps had an amazing rose garden that was beautiful and was filled with all different colors. He liked to go on vacations with his wife; everyone likes to call her IE, and every once in a while they would take a grand child (which is now my mother, my aunt Deed, or my uncle Dan) on a trip somewhere. My mom had told me that they had taken her on a trip to the Grand Canyon. As you can notice, he was very generous and courteous.
Gramps was a wonderful person. Even when I was only about three or four, I can still picture him and remember some of the great things about him, I can’t remember any of the bad things about him, because I have never seen or heard him do anything harmful. Even though Gramps has died, he will still be with me forever.

No comments: