Life is like snowboarding. When you get to the top of a hill and look down it looks like it will take a long time to get to the bottom. But actually it goes by really fast. That’s how life is, it looks long but it goes by fast. So you start down the hill and everything is a blur around you. The blur is all the different people going through your life. In life we get to make choices, the choices we make take us different places. Just like a snowboard you can steer, you can steer where you want to go. Sometimes you might steer or make a choice that is a bad decision but you don’t realize it at first. Then you get a consequence to teach you a lesson. Sometimes something could happen and it might not be your fault but you have to pay for it anyways. That’s where my story comes in. . . .
I had to spend my sixth grade Thanksgiving at my dad’s house. The day after Thanksgiving my dad made me go snowboarding. I told him I didn't want to go snowboarding but he made me go anyways.
I’d never been snowboarding before so I was really nervous. When we got to the ski resort we checked in and got all ready for the “exhilarating” ride. My dad didn’t want to teach me how to snowboard so he got me a private trainer. The second after my trainer got to us and all of the introducing was over everyone except me, left for the hill. It was just me and him now.
He tried to make an effort to strike a conversation but I wasn’t helpful in continuing it. Eventually, he gave up and took me to the half way mark on the hill. It was time for the basics.
The first thing we covered was how to balance. Next, going down the hill a ways and balancing at the same time. We went up and down the hill a couple times practicing the main things before I tried to go on my own.
The next thing on the list was how to steer. I tried it out and I was doing pretty well! I was falling and getting back up and snowboarding seemed to be a little fun. I was excited to try snowboarding without my smelly trainer over my shoulder, but I knew that that wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.
We went up the hill for what neither of us knew was going to be the last time. I started down the mountain after my trainer had demonstrated how to turn my board around. I was finally getting close to the bottom when I tried to turn my board as I was instructed. I almost had it when I fell backwards on a steeper area of the hill. My hands went to catch me out of reflex but my body was coming down too hard. My right hand hit the snow. . . . My arm cracked.
The next thing I knew I was on the snow covered ground in the most pain I had ever felt in my life. I was bawling when my dad finally got to the bottom to where I had been pulled after my incident. I was being bombarded with questions but I didn’t know how to answer any of them correctly.
My dad was convinced that I just sprang my arm and that it was nothing serious, but I knew it was a lot more than that. He took me to the doctor at the resort to see if he could tell us anything. The doctor said to go see a more experienced doctor when I got back to Salt Lake; so my dad didn’t do anything else. I was stuck having to deal with my arm feeling the way it was for about one and a half more days before I went home and could get real help.
I got home and went straight to the doctors’ office. When the doctor told me I had broken my right arm I began to cry. It was my first broken bone and I wanted to go my whole life without breaking one. I was devastated. They put a removable cast on me and sent me on my way.
I felt so helpless, like I wasn’t capable of doing anything on my own anymore. I imagined and thought it was going to be the worst time of my life but it wasn’t so bad. As it turned out. . . No dishes, no cleaning and hardly any school work for 3 to 4 month wasn't so bad!
When Should I Repot My Fiddle Leaf Fig
2 years ago
1 comment:
Hey you!!! great job! i hope you had fun snowboarding!!! :]
~Kaylee Leclerc
Post a Comment