Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Getting to Know You by Sydney Martinez

You can always gat to know someone by learning their culture. In our generation, music is a part of our culture. Some people like hip-hop music, others like country music, some may even enjoy classical music. Whatever music you listen to, it’s part of your culture. Basically, I will listen to any music besides rap or country. Yes, I even like classical at times. Generally, I like softer and slower music. My favorite song is Full Moon by The Black Ghosts. Whenever I get stressed, I like to listen to this song. It calms me down and gives me something else to think about for a while. I first heard this song when I was watching the movie Twilight. I was listening to the lyrics, and thought, Wow, this is a really great song. I’ve loved it ever since. The reason I like this song is because it has meaning, a meaning that affects everyone at some point in their life. “Far, far way, no voices sounding, no one around me, and you’re still there.” This is a line from Full Moon. To me, it means no one is gone forever, they will always be with you, or you will always be with them. Someone will always come home.

My partner, Melanie Ririe likes to listen to country music that has meaning. Her favorite song is Just a Dream by Carrie Underwood. It makes Melanie feel love, but also sorrow. This is the chorus of Just a Dream: “Baby why'd you leave me, why’d you have to go? I was counting on forever, now I'll never know. I can't even breathe. It's like I'm looking from a distance, standing in the background. Everybody's saying he's not coming home now. This can't be happening to me. This is just a dream.” When Melanie hears this, she pictures a woman breaking down because her love just died. This song doesn’t remind Melanie of anything specific in her life, but she says, “It’s just hard to lose someone.”
Music can shape and mold you, just as anything around you can. Different personalities like different music. Music is one thing that you can find in common with someone. It can change how you think and feel. Music can control you.

No comments: