Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Metaphor Madness by Boston Hatch

Life is music. It can be soft and slow and relaxing or it can be loud and fast and crazy. It can make you feel depressed and lonely or happy and cheerful. There are bands like Blue October and Brand New that make you feels sad and lonely and then there are bands like Metallica and Atreyu where the songs' awesome riffs speak to you and say, "Go forth and rock!" And make you go crazy and head bang and do back flips. (At least I do back flips when I listen to Metallica and Atreyu) There's Classical music, for example, Mozart or Beethoven that make you feel relaxed and calm, and there's songs like Blinded By Fear by At The Gates that makes you angry and want to beat the crap out of someone. Music can make you feel many feelings and emotions.
I was standing in a huge field full of flowers and lush green grass. The sun was shining, and it was about eighty degrees. The perfect day. As I was looking around at the beautiful sights when something caught my eye. Across a small stream there appeared to be a case.
It was a rather large case. It was sterling silver with black around the edges. I walked through the field with very curious thoughts. As I neared the stream, I took off my shoes and socks and waded through it to the other side. I stood above the case, which looked even bigger up close. The sterling silver glimmered in the sunlight. There appeared to be a lock with eight number wheels.
I stared at it for a moment, and then something spoke to me, telling me exactly what the code was. I reached down and spun the wheels. 08091995. My birthday. I slowly opened the case. Something green started to appear. When it was all the way open, I stared in amazement. There before me was what looked to be near a million dollars.
There was about a hundred sets of one-hundred dollar bills bunched tied together with a rubber band. There were about a two-hundred bills per set. I reached down and picked one of them up. They were all crisp and fresh bills. I put it to my nose. I was overwhelmed with the wonderful smell. It was like roses were completely surrounding me. My nostrils almost couldn't take it. That was the day I did my first back flip.
A back flip might not sound like much, but that's because you've never done it. When you first do it, it makes you feel an indescribable amount of euphoria and elation to an unimaginable extent. It's like getting the million dollars on Deal or No Deal. Nothing compares with it. It makes you feel like you could do anything in the world. Once you have done a back flip, if someone tells you, "Okay, it's not that big of a deal," you know they are wrong. After you have felt the extent of adrenaline and exultation you feel when you do a back flip, you are imperturbably stuck to fact that you have just accomplished the coolest thing ever. And if you have a friend who has done a back flip too, then you are not just friends. You have a special connection. Congruency will flow between you like a river with crystal clear water traveling at fourteen miles per hour. The day I did my first back flip, I was listening to Suicide And Redemption by Metallica on full blast. There's nothing like doing a back flip.

4 comments:

Writer said...

I liked how you compared your life experience to music.

-Brittney Golder

Writer said...

I love the way that you write. And I love the way you compared life to music. Its so true though, when you think about it. Anyway, this is a very good memouir.

Jordyn Hansen

Writer said...

Boston you have awesome word choice that gives your writing a lot of personality and depth. I especially like this line: "Congruency will flow between you like a river with crystal clear water traveling at fourteen miles per hour. " Your voice is unique and mature, and I really like your work!! I'm officially impressed.

Ms. L

Brooklyn said...

Whoa, intense. Awesome word choices, especially in "After you have felt the extent of adrenaline and exultation you feel when you do a back flip, you are imperturbably stuck to fact that you have just accomplished the coolest thing ever." Sweet story Mr. Millionare,I wish I could do backflips. . .too clumsy haha.
~Brooklyn