Thursday, May 14, 2009

Metaphor Madness By Mariana Alvarez








Life is the last inning to a championship game and the score is tied and you’re up to bat. While walking up to the some what dirty home plate with the old umpire smiling and the crowd screaming your name and with all the nasty glares from the catcher and pitcher. You walk up with all the confidence in the world and you say to yourself “here we go”. Then you either get in your stance and give a harmless smile to the stressed out pitched, or you turn to your coach for a last glimpse of inspiration. Up to bat you go, 2 chance have came and you’re a little disappointed in yourself that you didn’t quite hit the chance you got, and who knows those could have been the only chances you get. Standing there and knowing this pitch could and might be it. BOW! You smacked it, and you’ve officially one the game for your team. You’ve got all the glory in the world right now and nothing will change that. Well only one thing. It went fowl. Disappointed yet again, you go up and say “come on now” and “STRIKE THREE!” the umpire calls out. That completely tore you up. But you end up, knowing the pitch was way out, and you think wow I lost it for us.
On February 24th in St George Utah, that’s exactly what happened to me. We were playing in an accelerated tournament. We had just beat TC Thunder by five points, and we were excited to be in the championship game. Except the one thing was we were playing LV Pride. We had lost to them once and it wasn’t the best game. We’ll before finding out that we were playing it was between, LV Pride and another Las Vegas. Well after watching that game we knew by the third inning that we were playing LV Pride. So we went to warm up, we did everything pretty good. Almost perfect I’d say. All of my team including me were hyped up, and extremely excited!
The game was about five minutes from starting and we were taking grounders and making sure we were still warmed up. The umpires called out “ coaches and captains” and as a catcher I would be a main player, so Maddie Davis, Courtney Beavers, Ashley Clayson and my self went up with our coach Larry aka Sparky. The umpires said the rules, which weren’t just a reminder even though everyone knew that rules. So we asked me to call it I called heads, and it landed tales. We ended up being visitor. Which I thought was good. When we bat first we good pretty good, so I ran into the dug and said “we’re hitting ladies”
We began and wow, we’re doing pretty well, and well the game went one for another hour. We were in the last inning, and we’ll the stress factor on that sunny clay filled field was high. So I was on deck and the pitcher just hit Katelyn, wow that’s number six! So I went up and the pitcher probably gave me the dirtiest look a person could get. So I went to the left of the home plate, and swung my purple synergy bat about four times. Then I looked over at Darrin my coach and he said “mar you got this kid, swing away and smack it” I smiled with a little smirk, and nodded. I went up and gave a harmless smile just to make the pitcher go off. The pitch came, “STRIKE ONE!” I was absolutely dumb founded, that was a ball and everyone knew. Another pitch and “BOW!” I hit it, run! I ran to first and all hear are Middies’ mom screaming and the field umpire yelling out “FOWL BALL!” Are you kidding me? So I went back to the base and I get told come mar, you’ve got this, and I heard Lauren, Maddie and Katelyn, yelling come on mar. So I was a little scared. I see it, “strike three…” Oh my!
We lost; I can’t believe we lost because of me not swinging. I feel like crap. About the cry because I was telling me self it was my fault. Well, it wasn’t my fault. In life everyone misses something and makes mistakes but just let them go, and tell yourself next time you will be smacking that ball over the fence.

5 comments:

Writer said...

You do feel a lot of pressure when you are the one holding the power to win the game and then you don't and you feel disappointed in yourself. Well anyway I really liked you metaphor it was great.

-Brittney Golder

Writer said...

I know what you mean cousin of mine(:
I Love softball but I do get it. Everyone puts you under pressure and no one likes that :(
I found this ispirational
Love always
-Celena Tipiani

Writer said...

wow your a really good writer :) i love your story, its amazing
Brittany Atkin

Writer said...

Marr your an amazing writer. i love your story.=)I am inspired by your story
love/brea...

Writer said...

Wow, this was a great metaphor. I totally know the feeling that you are talking about, not only because I have been in softball situations like that, but you explained it so well. Your writing is very precise, and gets straight to the piont. I absolutely love this piece.

Jordyn Hansen