Thursday, May 14, 2009

Metaphor Madness by William Nguyen

Life is a rock floating down the Nile. It might get speed up and go faster than it thought it would, it might stop and stay there for at a place for a while, and it might go the wrong path but even if it does it will eventually reach the end of the river and it will finally be able to relax with all the other little rocks and all that. During the rocks journey through the Nile it might meet another rock or a couple more rocks and hang out at a rock festival somewhere. That's kind of what happened to me. I was at a cultural festival a year back and thats where I met a girl named Rin. We were hanging with my cousin and I gotta say, it was pretty fun. We wasted a ton of money and we bought a lot of pretty useless stuff. I got there pretty early with my cousin and we where just walking around when he saw Rin sitting alone. We went over there to say hi and his first words to her was "Your pretty" Yea, he is kind of an idiot, but a brave one at that. So we sparked up a conversation and she said she wanted to hang out for the day. So we went off and looked at the 100s of items that the festival offered. The place was pretty huge and it took us a while to look at everything. During lunch we had 10 pieces of sushi and we pretty much got ripped off pretty badly. Each piece of sushi was 7 dollars so do that math. After wasting that much money we decided to go eat some noodle to fill us up because the sushi didn't do jack, it was pretty good though. Walking around a couple mins later we found a fighting arena...yea my cousin and I paid the 20 dollars to duke it out and guess what? It was a tie, we knocked each other out though I think I won. After getting out bruises sprayed with some spray and having Rin laugh at us for a while, we got up and went to go get fireworks. Ok, out of about 500 different kinds of fireworks we managed to get almost 1 of everykind from 100 dollars, where my cousin was getting this money I don't know. Anyway while waiting for nighttime we decided to set off firecrackers and throw them at each other. (Note: they burn...alot) Anyway, after burning each other to a crisp and getting some ice to cool each other down it was somewhere near nighttime and we ate Curry for dinner and watched fireworks go off in the sky while we set off our own on the ground. Most of the fireworks were like an angry screaming teacher coming at you and others were like having the strongest light in the world flickering in you face. Overall it was a very fun day but days end and when our day ended we exchanged phone numbers and said our byes and left. Though we did talk that night, I found out that she was moving to California in a week. Well, all in all rock in the Nile and hanging with all the other rocks cruising down the long river of life. It has its curves and bends, its stops and rushes, and it even has its floods but eventually and again the rock will reach the end.

2 comments:

Writer said...

I'm not sure how the rock idea fits into your story, but I liked it anyway. I liked how you told it how you experienced it. Basically, I liked how informal it was. I've never really gotten a chance to read your writing before, but I really liked it. I have to say, I laughed out loud at some points because it really didn't sound like how you talk to everyone. I mean, when you talk, you sound like you're reading a script, no offense. you didn't censor your words, I liked it.
-Sydney Martinez

Writer said...

Love the analogy of a rock in the Nile. That is a great idea. It opens up your writing for lots of possibility. Where are your paragraphs?? Remember, organization, formatting, and conventions can take away from your great writing...so be a little more careful. Work on intertwining your rock metaphor into your story. Good start.:)