Family Folklore
By Orenda Williams
Lots of curious things are happening everyday. Sometimes, people notice them, record them, and tell the stories about them. There’s so many bizarre things that we see happen… People, nature, animals, science, the supernatural all can be oddities. Think of how much that no one is noticing. Think about how much could be happening while you read this. Think about what you aren’t noticing. Think about how much is there to not notice.
My sister, Tiffany, and I went up to
week to stay with our older sister Amber. It was both of ours first time being out of state, and our sister was pumped up to take us around as much as she could manage. We went hiking, took a ferry to an island nearby, went to a block party, street fairs and markets, shopping, canoeing, sea shell collecting, went to a museum, and an aquarium. You name it, she probably dragged us around and did it. Not that I’m complaining, we all had a blast, but it was very tiring.
When we were going out canoeing, we had some time to wait out for the last people to take the canoe to get back. The workers told us we had about an hour. We agreed to take a walk around the forest next to the water, because we had taken a ferry out to the island to go canoeing. Tiffany led us into the woods, and right as we began to get deeper in, she screamed, backed up, pushed me back, and made me fall over a tree root sticking out of the ground. Amber ran up from behind me to find out why she screamed. I saw her face as she saw whatever it was, and she started screaming and freaking out.
By now, I was scrambling to my feet, wanting to get a look at whatever was causing them so much distress. I couldn’t figure out what on earth would freak out both of them so much. Tiffany, I could understand, she’s a bit jumpy, but AMBER? I took a few steps to see what they were making a fuss about. The second I saw it, I felt my jaw hit the ground. Tiffany and Amber were already trying to hurry out of there, but my feet were staying where they were.
About two feet in front of me, a huge snake was choking down a fat beaver. Huge is not an understatement either. This thing had would’ve stretched out at least 7 feet if it hadn’t been coiled up. The beaver was more then half way in the snake’s mouth, and his back legs were still kicking. I saw the snake’s muscles contract and take down another inch of the beaver. I couldn’t watch after that, and bolted back to shore, Amber and Tiffany right in front of me. Tiffany was hyperventilating, because she is absolutely terrified of snakes. I’m almost surprised that she didn’t go into cardiac arrest. We quickly found a park ranger and told him where the snake was. After that, we just sat next to the dock and waited out the last thirty minutes of an hour.
Now that I think about it, I really wish I had brought a camera!
No comments:
Post a Comment