Snapshot
By: Danielle Johnson
It was the hottest day Lake Arrowhead, California had ever seen. It was as if I was a Popsicle melting in the middle of the street. I can’t explain how sick I had felt sick that day. The previous day at the pool I had received the worst sunburn in the history of sunburns. I looked like a walking apple. My face was bright red and I was highly dehydrated. It felt as if I was stuck in the middle of a desert. I still stayed a trooper and went to all three dance classes, lunch and the terrible, but fun water balloon fight. It was camp for heaven’s sakes! I had to have fun! Although I did lie down for two hours I still felt as weak as ever from the intense sun blazing on my back.
After a few hours in the sun and having lunch we all got together in our cabin groups and our counselors and headed towards the "Green Room." When we arrived I just about collapsed on the "hard-as-a-rock" floor in the room. Once everyone was quite and sitting down, Crush, the main counselor and founder of Idol camp, informed us that he wanted to make a video of our experience at camp for our parents to watch at the showcase. What the showcase is, it’s a two and a half hour show on the very last day of camp and almost all of our parents come to watch dances or songs we’ve learned during the two weeks of camp.
So what Crush instructed us to do, was to meet Lincoln outside (of course the only place I didn’t want to go) and sit on the benches for further instructions. Slowly and quietly I walked while everyone else, including the guys, were singing and dancing to the song "Lean on me." The only reason they were singing that particular song is because at the show the very last song we will all sing together is "Lean on me." After about two minutes I sat down on the hard and gritty textured bench and patiently waited to get the video over with. As each second past I was feeling sicker. I didn't think I could stand it much longer; I wanted to pass out just to get out of the sun. Of course I was one of the first people to sit down and it seemed like everyone else was purposely walking slow as molasses just because I was in severe pain. I felt as if my veins were going to pop, or I was going to scream to everyone "CAN YOU PLEASE HURRY? I'M IN EXTREME PAIN!" but that would have been massively rude and embarrassing. When finally everyone was sitting down, on the hottest benches in the universe, a woman photographer was coming around to each group of campers to take pictures for the website. I was sitting with my friends Kylee, Pearl, Chloe, Sara, and Meaghan. When the woman came around towards us we all bunched together and made up poses. Chloe was holding a notepad, Pearl had her sunglasses stuck on her head, Sara had her smirk look on, Kylee had her music and lyrics sheet in her hands and I was up at the front just trying to look pretty for the camera. Soon after the photographer went around to each group we all stood up on top of the bench and yelled "IDOL CAMP ROCKS!" we all stampeded towards the camera waving our arms and screaming our heads off.
No comments:
Post a Comment