Tuesday, October 28, 2008


Snapshot
There are five people in this picture, me, my mom, my two annoying little sisters and my little brother. Before the picture my sisters and I didn’t want to go to the mountains for the evening, but we finally gave in. I decided I had nothing better to do. We drove around for what felt like forever. It probably was under an hour. We got out to look around when my little brother found a trail. It looked like no one had been on it for a long time. He started down the trail and because we had a long time until the sun went down, we followed him. It was a pretty easy hike, not too steep but fairly bumpy. When we saw a big metal chimney thing through the trees we went to see what it was. When we got closer I could see a couple of benches and a huge grill. We found out it was a camp site so we hiked back the way we came, got in the car and decided we would go look for a place to make a fire. We found a great spot, but we had to pay and my parents forgot their wallets. We put all the money we had in the envelope even though it was not quite enough. We unloaded the car with all our stuff, like the food, the wood and some chairs. It took awhile to get the fire started but we managed to get it going. In a couple of seconds we had a blazing fire. It was kind of cold so I spent most of my time by the fire so I could stay warm. We cooked some hot dogs for dinner. They warmed my insides up. We all had our feet on the rim of the fire pit laughing and having fun, so my dad took a picture of us sitting around a glowing fire. After the picture we cooked some marshmallows over the hot burning coals. We caught a lot of them on fire but they still tasted good. When we were done roasting marshmallows my oldest sister and I filled a water bottle up in the river. To do this we stood on these cool rocks so we didn’t get our feet wet. When I poured the water on the hot coals they hissed at me and blew smoke up into the sky. We did this several times until the coals were all out. It was pitch black on the way back to the car but we made it with no problems. On the ride home we were all pretty quiet, probably because we were all so exhausted from the fun night we had. Now when my mom asks us what we want to do, we all say we want to go to the mountains. I’m so glad that I went and now I have a great picture to remember it by.
By Bronson Mabey

No comments: