Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Metaphor Madness" by Tong Liu

Life is the vivid blue ocean. It can be choppy and stormy, or it can be calm and sunny. It can be deep and never ending, or it can be shallow and swift. Whenever something looks like it's going to be stormy and the waters turn dark, all you have to do is wait. Eventually your patience will pay off, the water will turn calm and clear again. Sometimes you could be stuck in the deep part of the ocean. Everything could be going wrong, but as long as you keep swimming and trying, you will eventually reach the shallow waters and things will start going right again.


The event I chose is when I moved to Canada. It was a disaster, I had to leave my life and all my friends. I was only six back then and I had never left China before. When I first moved to Canada it was in the summer, I thought my whole life had turned upside down. All my worst fears came true, I couldn't understand what people were saying, I had no friends and the road ahead of me looked rough, but I never gave up. When I first went to second grade, I realized I actually liked it better in Canada, I made a lot of friends, I learned English and I turned my life around. I was happy again and I learned I had many more opportunities in Canada.


My metaphor is very similar to my experience. When I first moved to Canada the waters were very dark and stormy, I had nothing there. The waters were very deep and time seemed to stop, but I never gave up, I kept on swimming and eventually things started to change. I started second grade, I made friends and I learned English. Finally, I reached the shallow waters and the waters calmed down, I kept on persevering and in the end the waters stopped raging.

No comments: