Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"A Snapshot of Me" by Nick Presley

I was a lad of eight or nine. I was just a Cub Scout and the idea of being a scout was more new to me than going to school in uniforms. I didn't know what being a scout was like.

When my older brother was a cub scout, meetings would often be held at our house since my mom was the scout leader. I had the wrong idea about scouts because all I ever saw them do was eat snacks, watch movies, and play games. I often joined them and therefore I thought scouts would be more fun than all the amusement parks put togethor!

Three years later, I join scouts and I was overwhelmed how much work there was. The scouts I was experiencing compared to the scouts I always saw my brother enjoying were more different than BYU and Utah Utes! My mom was still the scout leader and yet meetings were hardly ever held at our house, we'd always be reading about American history which reminded me so much of school,ect. I pretty much just thought of it as every Thursday school.

We mostly worked on merit badges and that REALLY reminded me of school. I didn't see what the point was. Once again, we talked about pretty much everything we talked about in school. History, science, reading, what to do incase of emergencies, ect. But little did I know there was more to the merit badge concept than I was thinking.
At my first Pack Meeting, (that's what cub scouts call them) I earned my first two merit badges! I was so happy, I started liking working on merit badges. I never thought I would feel so proud of myself. That night was probably like the night Micheal Jordan played his first basketball game!

No comments: