Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Family Folklore By Devin Bryner

Every year, up at Bear Lake, we go to the lake. The lake that is cold as ice and chills you to the bone if you so much as touch the water. There is green everywhere except the lake that is as clear as blue can be. That, and the blinding white of the glacier. This isn't an ordinary glacier, though. This glacier is here even in the volcano that is the heat of summer. It was one of those days when the heat was absolutely unbearable. The sky is clear, not a cloud in sight. There is no way it could rain. Even though the rain would be my only relief from this scorching heat. My only thought was to jump in. I debated for what seemed like hours about whether or not to go in. As soon as I decided not to jump in, I fell. When I finally landed in the water it was freezing. When I fell, the water was so shocking, it forced the air right out of my lungs. When I managed to crawl out, the warm air felt like heaven on my skin. Unfortunately, I was still soaking, and I still fell into that arctic water.

No comments: