Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Metaphor Madness By Devin Bryner

Life is a basketball game. One second you're ahead and doing fine, then the next, it feels like there is no way you can win. Sometimes you do, other times you don't. No matter what, though, you always try and always do your best. It is also wild. There are things that are obviously going to happen. There are things that you thought would never happen. You never know how it will turn out, though. That's what makes it fun.

When I was about eight years old, I thought life couldn't be better. I lived in a good town in North Carolina. I had friends, I had a good family, and I still lived with my dad. Then, one day, the unimaginable happened. For reasons unknown to me, we had to move. I remember my mom saying that my dad would be coming later, and that we would all meet up once we got there. That didn't make me feel any better. I still had to leave my friends and the only house I could ever remember living in. What made it worse was when we arrived. I found out we would be living with my grandma and grandpa, which wasn't too bad, but I found out that my dad had actually stayed back home. A year later (because North Carolina law said that they had to be separated for a year) they got divorced.

Later in life, I found out that it wasn't too bad being here. I eventually made friends, found teachers that I really liked, and I was closer to the rest of my family. Now, my family comes over every Saturday and we all just play and have a good time. My dad also calls us almost everyday, and we get to see him a couple times a year. I found out that I actually really like it here, even though my dad didn't live with us. I still live with my grandparents here in Utah, and I still miss my dad, but because we moved here, I have had some of the best experiences of my life. I guess that just shows that life really is a basketball game.

No comments: